University City and North Charlotte family entertainment
Visitors and residents will find many activities to choose from around the University City and North Charlotte area. From science exploration to live music and water play there is something fun for everyone.
This list of activities will keep parents and children happy all summer long. Dates and times vary so check the provided links for more information and cost.
- Birkdale's Interactive Water Fountain, children of all ages can enjoy the cool refreshment each day during the summer. http://www.birkdalevillage.net/go/mallEvents.cfm?eventsonly=1
- The Great Inland Sea, Energy Explorium, Mon.- Sat. all summer. http://www.duke-energy.com/visitor-centers/energyexplorium.asp
- Catawba River Docs Exhibit, Duke Energy Explorium, June 1 to September 30, 9 am, http://www.duke-energy.com/visitor-centers/energyexplorium.asp
- Live Raptor Presentations: Raptor All-Stars, Carolina Raptor Center, Weekends, 11 am, 1 pm, 3 pm, http://www.carolinaraptorcenter.org/index.php
- Backyard Tails, Carolina Raptor Center, Weekends, 12 pm, 2 pm. http://www.carolinaraptorcenter.org/index.php
- Father's Day Celebration, Carolina Raptor Center, June 20-21, 12 pm http://www.carolinaraptorcenter.org/index.php
- Dinner with Princesses, The Tea House, Cornelius, June 24, 6 pm, http://www.the-teahouse.com/
- Pan for Gold, Historic Latta Plantation, Huntersville, June 27, 10 am, http://www.lattaplantation.org/visit/special_events.shtml
- Super Saturdays (RSVP), Energy Explorium, Huntersville, June 27, 2 pm, http://www.duke-energy.com/visitor-centers/energyexplorium.asp
- All American Soap Box Derby, Huntersville Business Park, Huntersville, June 27, 9 am, http://www.huntersvillesbd.org/
- Kozmic Bowling at Northcross Lanes, Huntersville, Every Friday and Saturday, 11 pm-2 am, http://www.northcrosslanes.com/nc/ Free outdoor movies
These free summer movies are a great way to entertain the family. Many locations also offer snacks, popcorn, and pre-show entertainment for the kids. Check the provided links for more information and remember, movies will be cancelled or rescheduled in the event of rain.
- Huntersville Movies in the Park June 26: Madagascar 2 Escape 2 Africa, July 24: Horton Hears A Who, August 28: Monsters vs. Aliens, North Mecklenburg Park, all movies will begin at dusk (8:30 pm), free popcorn and drinks, http://radiantlifefellowship.org/Home/MoviesInThePark/tabid/1173/language/en-US/Default.aspx
- Summer Movies at Mountain Island June 18: Madagascar; June 25: Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa. All ages are welcome for movie screening and popcorn. www.plcmc.lib.nc.us.
- Cornelius Outdoor Cinema Series June 20: Roscoe Jenkins at Smithville Park; June 24: Ferris Bueller's Day Off at Kenton Place. Free. Kenton Place, 17115 Kenton Dr., Cornelius. Smithville Park, 19710 S. Ferry St., Cornelius. Weather permitting; all movies will begin at dusk (8:30 p.m.). Bring your own blankets and lawn chairs. For more information visit http://www.visitnc.com/events/view/35723/outdoor-cinema-series
- Movies In the Park At Kannapolis June 12: Open Season 2; June 26: Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa. Free. 8:45 p.m. Village Park, located along A and C Streets and North Loop Road in Kannapolis. http://www.cityofkannapolis.com./calendar_showcase.asp Farmer's Markets
Two neighborhood farmer's markets give area residence an alternative to Charlotte's Regional Farmer's Market on the West side of the city.
- Main & Maxwell Farmer's Market, Huntersville, Tuesdays and Saturdays, through October 24, 7 am, http://www.ourhuntersville.com/html/main/announce_display/newsID/3023148/index.html
- Davidson Farmer's Market, Corner of Main and Jackson Streets, Davidson, Saturdays, May to October, 8am, http://davidsonfarmersmarket.org/
Other neighborhood activities and events will be featured in upcoming articles. Enjoy North Charlotte this summer.