Summertime in Phoenix presents all sorts of opportunities for neighbors to get to know each other better. Planning a big event for everyone to enjoy is a great way to make this happen. If you want to get the ball rolling, an excellent idea involves turning a common area or backyard into a makeshift movie theater for a night to watch outdoor movies.
Planning an outdoor movie night will get many neighbors to come out. If you want to set everything up right and not have to go to a huge expense yourself, try following these tips:
1. Rope in some neighbors to help and check with management Before you go creating elaborate plans for an outdoor movie, it's not a bad idea to make sure it's okay with management. If you're doing the show in a private backyard, this shouldn't be an issue. If you want to use a common area and invite everyone, do ask. Also, see if you can get some neighbors to help out with the planning.
2. Set a date and post notices If the plan is to enjoy outdoor movies with any neighbors who want to attend, make certain to set the date in advance and let people know about it. It's not a bad idea to pick the movies in advance, too. Consider picking family rated movies if you want everyone to turn out in force. Otherwise, select movies for grownups, but say so on fliers or mail outs.
3. Plan some refreshments Make the decision in advance if you want people to pull their own refreshments or contribute to a giant potluck. There is nothing wrong with telling people to bring their own picnic basket, chairs and drinks. It can be fun, however, to make it a group effort potluck style. Consider having movie-themed food. A sweet treats and dessert bar would be appropriate for a Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory showing and so would super-"hero" sandwiches for a "Batman and Robin".
4. Prepare the theater To enjoy a proper outdoor movie, you will need some equipment. A DVD projector is a great way to go for this. If you don't have one, consider borrowing one from a friend or your office. You'll also need a "screen". A large sheet or drop cloth placed on the side of a building can work very well. Don't forget the DVDs either!
Here are some additional tips for a successful backyard movie night once you have all the essential equipment rented, purchased, or borrowed.
* Rent a tent for the big event.
* Get an outdoor fireplace for atmosphere.
* Control the backyard bugs.
* Remember the seating. Have some blankets, pillows, chairs, or benches.
Summer is a great time to get people to come out of their apartments to enjoy a little fun. To create a sense of camaraderie in your complex, an outdoor movie night is a great way to go. With a little planning, you can pull this off in no time at all.
Source: "Watch Summer Movies Outdoors in Your Backyard Theater"- http://phoenix.movingtoanapartment.com/entertaining/watch-summer-movies-outdoors-in-your-backyard-theater.htm